Share!

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Great Poetry Site and a Cool Poem "Oranges" by Lauren S. Cook

I love, love, LOVE this poem by Lauren S. Cook!!!! I also completely love and live for moments of the light she describes. I found it on a friend's Facebook page and it led me to Rattle, a GREAT site, to which I subscribed! Check out their goal: "To promote the practice of poetry" and " a community of poets" ! Awesome!
Oranges



by Lauren S. Cook

Today I sliced navels
for my son’s soccer game.
I took care to cut them evenly,
to trim the pith. I know
this is unremarkable––
a soccer mom, a fruit poem.
I promise I’m a person
of average tragedy who
scours each happiness
for its flaw. I can’t
help that they looked
picturesque piled
in a bowl. I nearly called in
my partner to look––
but I know the smallness of this
joy: gauze-thin, vanishing.
I’m ashamed that I told you,
but I feel something
should be said for the oranges––
not an ode, but a note
that they were adequate,
in no way failing, nor I, nor
the chef’s knife, nor the sun,
which lit the room in the way
it does sometimes, illuminating
the dust in the air, the specks
gliding on the smallest of currents.

No comments:

Post a Comment