Share!

Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Flat Earth Society Actually Exists (??!!)

Yep, it's true. I JUST became aware that this society existed.....mainly because of this meme that was going around Facebook.


I did some searching and found The Flat Earth Society. Their mission is to "promote and initiate discussion of Flat Earth theory as well as archive Flat Earth literature. Our forums act as a venue to encourage free thinking and debate."  Apparently, there are TONS of members and folks who actually believe the Earth is flat. Somehow they come up with reasons for not believing we live on a sphere. In the early 1800's, the belief system was called Zetetic Astronomy. Samuel Rowbotham was the author of the book Zetetic Astronomy and founder of the first Flat Earth Society.
So, this AMAZES me that people really believe it. While I do not subscribe to this belief I needed some help in understanding why others do.....
Here are some interesting articles I found related to the subject:
1.  Are Flat-Earthers Being Serious?
2. EVEN IN THE MIDDLE AGES, PEOPLE DIDN’T THINK THE EARTH WAS FLAT
4. For Some, the Earth Is Still Flat
5. Flat Earth Society Claims Round Earth A Conspiracy TheoryThis map is pretty cool actually...because I like maps and not because I believe in a 
flat Earth! (link HERE to article about this map)

Well, enough of this! The image below, from NASA, is indeed our planet, sorry flat-Earthers!


No comments:

Post a Comment