Share!

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Laughing at St. Paul's Senior Center = The Best Medicine :-)

Today, I spent most of the day at the St. Paul's Senior Center (formerly the St. Paul's Homecoming Center) in Gentilly, New Orleans. I haven't been in a little while and I have been missing seeing them on the Fridays when I usually call Bingo :-) Today, I went to meet a new group meeting on Thursdays and had lots of fun! 
When I arrived, they were talking about what we can do when we feel discouraged. Sort of seemed like a gloomy topic until we got to talking and they were so animated about life's ups and downs and how God is always there no matter what. I was a fantastic discussion and I am always amazed at the breadth of things they have each gone through. One of the men had recently had a house fire started by a bored child not monitored enough by his neighbor. It was a sad story, but he had come through it well. The positive attitude that all of these folks have is astounding - especially after you hear their stories. I taught them how to play Scrabble today. They weren't that into it at first, but then the laughter began as we tried various words which really weren't words! HA! Ms. Anna, in her 90's wiped the floor with us all and beat us by a large margin. Then we all had Shrimp pad Thai for lunch (YUM!) Afterwards, we played Bingo and as with my other bunch of seniors at the center, their competitive natures came rushing out and they were BINGO CRAZY!!!!! There are few things more precious than a group of seniors in their 70's, 80's, and 90's laughing and cracking themselves (and me) up every ten minutes! 
What a super fun day filled with special people and some great fellowship, needed by all! :-) Laughter is the best medicine!


No comments:

Post a Comment